Rockville: John Farrand, Candidate for Town Council

Why do you want to be part of the Town Council?

I want to be a part of the Rockville town council because it would be a privilege and an opportunity to be of service to the citizens of Rockville.  I feel a responsibility and a comittment to our community to become involved in the active leadership required to serve all residents of this town and to protect our natural resources and the town's future development.  


What are the three best things about your town?

 I love Rockville because of its beauty, its cleanliness,  its small size, its charm and peaceful ambiance.  There are lots of good folks who live here, some with memories of a simpler past and all of us with the dreams to keep it as close as possible to the way it now exists.


Please state your top two priorities if elected to the Town Council;  why are they important and what will you do about them? 

I am sure there are lots of things that the town of Rockville could use, this is probably true of any town, but I also believe that every government has to be fiscally responsible before it should act on something that we want or need and to be certain that we can afford something before putting heavy taxes on those who live on limited incomes.  My priority  is to help Rockville continue in the direction it has been going and  to keep it the type of community it is now, and to make it a haven from the problems of big cities.  


What’s your opinion about the Lake Powell Pipeline project?

Every growing community needs more water. If funds can be found to finance this project- then I would say the Lake Powell Pipeline is something that Rockville should consider thoughtfully.   That is,  if it dosn't require a big tax hike!!  How would it impact Rockville? We need to discover new ways to meet our looming water crisis.  How are other communities like ours handling similar problems? A balanced budget and fiscal restraint are two factors that concern me and I promise to adhere to these principles. 


What, if any, Vision Dixie Priorities would you support and encourage? How?

I share the same concerns and desires that the citizens of Washington County expressed through the answers given on the questionaire of the Vision Dixie plan. Let any future plans that may tax our budget rest for the present until the important national issues that we all are faced with are settled.  In the present economy, I feel a lot of these projects should probably be postponed until such time as we have financial stability.  


Do you like/support voting by mail in your town? 
 

I think voting via mail can work. If the process saves time and money and will benefit the residents,
I say "Let's give it a try."


Why should a person vote for you?

Serving the town of Rockville would be a serious commitment. I try to keep every commitment I make.  I put the needs of the community ahead of my personal feelings. I am honest in my dealings with my fellow citizens and deal fairly with all.


What is the best way for people to learn more about you?

Just call me!  Talk to me I am a good listener and I usually get the facts correctly.
 I would be happy to share my talents and background with anyone who would like to know more about me.