Springdale: John Callahan, Candidate for Town Council

Why do you want to be part of the Town Council?

My professional background leads me to believe that I can be a very positive asset to the future of Springdale. I have experienced dealing and negotiation with City, County, State and Federal Governments including testifying in front of Congressional Committees and Sub Committees to secure project funding on behalf of the organizations I represented. While lobbying, I developed skills that would be a benefit to our community and especially to assist and learn from existing Town Council members and members of the Community.


What are the three best things about your town?

Simplicity, Diversity and Small Town atmosphere. 


Please state your top two priorities if elected to the Town Council; why are they important and what will you do about them?

Preservation of our pristine environment. Springdale is “Going Green” and I would be very supportive and active in this area. There are many changing priorities that face our town. If elected I would certainly be on top of those priorities.


What’s your opinion about the Lake Powell Pipeline?

With our materialistic tendencies always in the back ground, I would fear major destruction to our very delicate Southern Utah environment. Such an undertaking will encourage development speculation that will create an additional demand on an already taxed burdened areas including Springdale with no direct benefit to our community.

What, if any, Vision Dixie Priorities would you support and encourage? How?

While I agree with the majority of the Vision Principals the studies are not Springdale specific, therefore scrutiny and sound evaluation should prevail.


Do you like/support voting by mail in your town?

The American right to vote is such and honor and should never be compromised. If we can prove this method assures us that all legitimate votes are counted, by all means, we should use this method which appears to be cost effective.

How do you see the Town Council’s elected role in enforcing ordinances such as the recently adopted ‘Dark Sky’ ordinance?

I see enforcing of ordinances, that are constitutional, a duty of the Town Council.

Parking has become a problem in Springdale – How would you deal with this issue?

I know that there have been several potential solutions offered to the town, but I am not familiar with all the issues that affect a reasonable solution.

Why should a person vote for you?

I have been a property and business owner in Springdale, Utah for the past 18 years. My wife Harriet and I have operated the Frontier Plunders Antiques, Inc. since moving to Springdale. I am currently semi-retired and the Site Manager for the Redhawk Apartments in Springdale.

I have been involved in and worked with State, local and national politics for the past 30 years in various capacities. As President of a five (5) state Housing Authority Association I have lobbied for funds through Congress and Congressional Subcommittees testifying for the need of funds for housing assistance to low income persons.

I have been the President of Boards of Directors for several social programs including Medical Clinics, Manpower and Employment Agencies.

I have vast construction management experience that has taken me to several States in various management positions, heading multi-million dollar projects mostly in residential construction.

As the President of Callahan Consulting Services, I provided training and consulting services to many Public and Native American Indian Housing Authorities, and American Indian Tribes in the development of administrative programs that were geared to receiving Federal, State and private funds. My consulting included monitoring established programs to meet Federal and State regulations

Since I am semi-retired I certainly have the time and with my diverse background I feel I have the ability to devote my efforts to the betterment of our Town of Springdale.

What is the best way for people to learn more about you?

I can be reached at our place of business, Frontier Plunder Antiques, Inc. during regular business hours. I also live there and would invite you give me a call so that we can set up a time to discuss your issues and ideas.  You can even catch me cruising my electric golf cart around town almost any time of the day. Just trying to keep Springdale “Green.” Stop me, yell at me and we can discuss your concerns and ideas.